Organic watermelon radishes from Hairston Creek Farm

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Weekend bounty

Having a farmers market in Cedar Park has been a tremendous help as we no longer have to travel 30-40 minutes to get our produce. As a result, it has been easier to make it to the market every weekend and still have plenty of time to enjoy the local bounty! Tonight, the menu included Goat Cheese and Beet sandwiches, which was a big hit with the family, including the kids (the recipe is for an appetizer; I simply used the same ingredients to make the sandwiches). The Goat cheese was from Swede Dairy Farm and the Beets were from Hairston Creek Farm; I served the sandwiches with a side of Swiss Chard with Garlic and Oregano (another big hit!) and some salad greens, both from from Johnson's Backyard. It was such a good feeling to realize that we seem to be on the right track again!

The bread, unfortunately was not local but it is my plan to start making bread again this week. That is, as soon as I get some whole wheat flour, of which I am out. However, I did not see Richardson's Farm at the market and they are the only ones I know sell local flour so I must investigate!

No comments:

Post a Comment