- Try to buy raw foods (less packaging);
- Always buy organic;
- Try to buy as much local foods as I can;
- Always take my recyclable bags into the supermarket or farmer's market;
- If I have to buy something that is packaged, make sure the packaging is recyclable;
- If our family goes out to eat, don't order more than what we can consume (My husband and I often split a meal and so do my kids); and
- Whatever I do, I do not ask for a to-go container (usually, they are styrofoam so we ask the waiter for foil and use it instead).
I am also a firm believer in portion control so I tried something the other day at a restaurant that worked wonderfully. I went out to eat with my coworkers and knowing that I would not be able to share a meal, I took a glass container with me in a bag. When I was done, I simply put my leftovers in my container. I was worried I might get some looks but surprisingly, nobody seemed to care (or if they did, they did not say anything). It was a win-win situation because my food was stored in a leak-proof container that is safe to heat up and that I don't have to throw away when I am done. Since that day, I have made it a habit to have a pyrex container in my car in case I need it.