Organic watermelon radishes from Hairston Creek Farm

Friday, February 18, 2011

Bison at Cedar Park Farms to Market

Soccer season has started (and so has baseball season) and unfortunately for me that means I have to spend less time writing about what I am finding at the local farmers market so that I can find some time to actually cook it. However, I had to at least make the time today to mention a couple of the wonderful recipes that I have made in the past couple of weeks using the local ingredients that you can find at the market during February, one of those which, fortunately for us, is bison.

I usually have stock in my freezer but last week I spent all day roasting the two fresh chickens that I got from 6J Ranch and ran out of steam before I made the stock. I had thawed the ground bison meat that I got last weekend from Thunder Heart Bison (Cedar Park Farmers Market) and for dinner tonight I had to come up with a recipe that did not need stock, so I cooked a 'Bison Picadillo' and served it rolled up in warm whole wheat tortillas. Here is the recipe:

2 tsp olive oil
1 lb ground bison
1/2 lb potatoes, cubed small
1 can Muir Glenn tomatoes with chiles
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
whole wheat tortillas

Boil potatoes for about 5-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft; add bison, crumble, and cook until browned. Add cumin, chipotle, salt, and tomatoes. Cook until most liquid evaporates. Add cooked potatoes until warmed. Add some picadillo to center of each tortilla and roll up. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment