Organic watermelon radishes from Hairston Creek Farm

Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer Bounty

Yes, I know it is not quite summer yet. However, zucchini already showed up in my Greenling box and I know from talking to friends that are growing it, that there is plenty more coming my way. So, in order to use up the zucchini I had on hand before I got even more, I went searching for a recipe and found a delicious lasagna recipe through MyRecipes.com (follow link below).

NOTES: This lasagna might be just as delicious as mine was if you follow the recipe but I should at least mention what changes I made due to what I had on hand:
  • I did not use fat-free cottage cheese. I tend to prefer low-fat products;
  • The instructions say to spread 1/4 cup zucchini mixture in the bottom of the pan and I thought that this was not enough so I used way more than 2 cups of tomato sauce total (I think I used about 4 cups);
  • I did not buy the brand of tomato sauce recommended because I had some plain Muir Organic tomato sauce on hand.
  • I did not have onions left in my pantry to chop, but I had chopped and sauteed some the previous night with bell peppers, olive oil, and oregano for another recipe and had about one cup left. I used it all on this recipe.
The basil was from our garden, the egg was from local pastured chickens, and the mozzarella was from a local farm. Everything else was non-local but organic. It was so good I plan to make this for as long as I have zucchini!:



No comments:

Post a Comment